Saturday, February 20, 2010

Wrinkles Anonymous

Hello, my name is Blogger and I have wrinkles.

Welcome Blogger. (*chorus of people*)

Ugh! I didn't want them this early. I am so not ready.

Yeah, yeah. It's just wrinkles, right? WRONG! It's reality playing a practical joke on me.

Yooohooo, Blogger! Look in the mirror...NOW! Yikes! On the sides of my eyes. I see them. I practice the smile-a-meter, going from a weak to the strongest smile, and there they are - smack in the middle of "average smile".

You see, I was expecting to age gracefully. I have looked much younger than my age for the past 20 years, so I was naïvely expecting to continue this for at least 10 more years.

But reality is a biatch!

I have aged more in the past 3 years than in the other 17. Coincidentally, my kid's Type 1 Diabetes was also diagnosed a little over 3 years ago. Go figure...

I have the creams. The cheap, the expensive and the crappy. Nothing works.

But I have found that if I don't smile, I don't see my wrinkles, so others won't see them either, and I may help stabilize their growth. Of course, this will affect my sociability factor. I will be seen as unfriendly. BUT my wrinkles will not be seen.

What to do? What to do?

Embrace them? Pffft...I don't like them, so I can't do that.

Ignore them? Nope, they're there, I know that.

Botox them? Heck no! As much as I hate them, I hate pain even more, even the slightest of it.

So, I guess I'll just have to live with them, for better or for worse.

1 comment:

mom of 2 sons said...

Sleep on your back, and you'll wake up wrinkle-free! :)